Thursday 19 May 2016

Brain food breakfast

Recently, I've been trying to eat more healthily because I've really got into keeping fit and finding new recipes that are guilt free, yet effortlessly delicious. Porridge is my go-to breakfast that keeps me going for hours. Oats slow-release energy, keeping your blood sugar levels steady throughout the day and making them perfect before a work out or exams. Today, I stirred in some cinnamon and topped it with strawberries, blackberries, flaked almonds, chia seeds and honey.  Red berries are perfect to add on any kind of breakfast meal, whether it be cereal, yoghurt, granola or oatmeal. They are full of antioxidants, with some high in vitamins that help to combat disease. Also, blueberries apparently improve memory, which is pretty much what most exams rely on. Sprinkling nuts and seeds on the top is also great as they are full of protein and fibre, acting as a great alternative to meat for vegetarians or vegans. I know a lot of people don't like porridge, so a good way to incorporate oats into your diet is honey or chocolate granola or some kind of breakfast crumble.



I then had a raspberry and banana smoothie and it was so good, you have to try it! First, put any plant based/ normal milk or coconut water into your blender. Then, add two tablespoons of Total greek natural yoghurt. The reason I used this, is because it's really thick and creamy and it doesn't have that much flavour so you don't just get a yoghurt tasting smoothie. If you are vegan, you could thicken it with dates, avocado or maybe a bit of soya yoghurt. After that, I put in around three handfuls of frozen raspberries (if they're frozen it's thicker and really nice and cold) and half a banana in for a fruity flavour. You don't have to use these fruits, you can change it up and use as much or as little as you like. When you serve it, add a couple of cubes of ice and you are good to go! If theres some spare, you can always put a glass in the fridge and have it later or the next morning. 


These two together honestly keep me going until lunch. They don't leave you bloated and feeling really heavy; it's a really nice light, summer breakfast to have.

I'd love to know what your go-to breakfasts or smoothies are. Feel free to comment!
Daisy xx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I love smoothies! But porridge is always my favourite, in summer I tend to go for yoghurt and fruit though, I love how fresh it is :)

    Erin || MakeErinOver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm loving smoothie bowls at the moment as well!xx

      Delete

© A Slender Self

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig